Answer in Brief
Write the properties of cathode rays.
- Cathode rays possess energy and momentum and travel in a straight line with a high speed of the order of 107 m s-1
- It can be deflected by the application of electric and magnetic fields.
- When the cathode rays are allowed” to fall on matter, they produce heat.
- They affect the photographic plates and also produce fluorescence when they fall on certain crystals and minerals.
- When the cathode rays fall on a material of high atomic weight, x-rays are produced.
- Cathode rays ionize the gas through which they pass.
- The speed of cathode rays is up to `(1/10)^"th"`.
Concept: Electric Discharge Through Gases
Is there an error in this question or solution?