Write the functions of the following parts in human female reproductive system:-
The functions of given parts of female reproductive system are as follows:-
Ovary: The ovaries are located on each side of the lower abdomen. They produce thousands of eggs in the female body. They also produce a hormone called oestrogen, which brings about the development of secondary sexual characteristics in the female body. The eggs produced in the ovary start maturing on reaching puberty.
Oviduct: One egg from each ovary grows and matures and is carried from the ovary to the uterus by a thin oviduct or the fallopian tube. Fertilisation of the egg also takes place in the oviduct.
Uterus: It is also known as the womb, as the developing embryo gets implanted in the uterus.
Functions of the Ovary:-
- It produces female gametes (ova).
- It secretes female sex hormones.
- It secretes inhibin involved in the feedback control of pituitary FSH production.
Functions of the Oviduct:-
- Fertilisation takes place here.
- The fertilised ovum travels towards the uterus through the fallopian tube.
Functions of the Uterus:-
- It supports and nourishes the developing foetus.
- It expands according to the growth of the baby.
Video Tutorials For All Subjects
- Human Reproductive System