Write a short note.
- Founded in 1873 by Mahatma Jotirao Phule in Pune.
- Cracked a whip on the social customs and practices which pushed the Indian masses into a miserable state.
- Showed a new path to artisans, workers, and other downtrodden people.
- Characteristics of Satyashodhak Samaj included monotheism, rejection of the authority of Vedas and Puranas, acceptance of rationality, opposition to the dominance of priests and idol worship, etc.
- Mahatma Phule and his wife Savitribai Phule started a school for girls.
- His work was continued by Gopal Baba Walangkar who criticised untouchability in his book Vital Vidhwamsan'.
- Shivram Janba drew attention to the problems of deprived women like Murali, Jagatini, and Devadasi.
Concept: Religious Reform Movements
Is there an error in this question or solution?