Write short notes on
Lumbering on a commercial scale
Commercial lumbering is well-developed in the coniferous forest region of Canada, North Western Europe and the Soviet Union. The important factors responsible for the development of commercial lumbering in the above areas are as follows.
- In coniferous forests, one species of trees are found over an extensive area.
- Coniferous trees are tall and away from each other, so lumbering is easy.
- Wood is soft and durable. Coniferous forests provide good raw materials for the paper and pulp industry and furniture-making industry.
- Due to the good quality of wood (softwood), it has great demand in the world market.
- Cool and pleasant climate is favourable for labour to work throughout the year.