Write a short note on:
Interrelationship between rural and urban settlements.
- Settlements can be divided into urban and rural on the basis of their functions. Rural settlements are smaller than urban settlements.
- In rural areas agriculture and allied agricultural activities like livestock rearing, fishing, lumbering, etc., are developed.
- In urban areas, industries, construction, and economic activities like trade, transport, and communication, banking, and insurance are important activities.
- The development industries need various raw material and services which are supplied by rural areas.
- For example, cotton grown in rural areas is supplied to cotton textile industries in urban areas. Everyday many rural people commute to urban areas to work in different activities.
- Thus, there is a good interrelationship between urban and rural areas since they depend on each other.