Answer in Brief
Write notes on
Correlation between physiographic and internal waterways
- India has an extensive network of waterways including lakes, canals, oceans, and other inland water systems. The total navigable area is 14500 km.
- Waterways have been the most common means of transport from earlier days. Waterways are the cheapest and easiest way of carrying bulky goods over long distances.
- One of its greatest benefits is that it does not require any route construction or maintenance. Waterways can be inland waterways or sea routes.
- Navigable rivers, canals, backwaters, and lakes are used as inland waterways. It was the major means of transportation before the advent of railways and roadways.
- Inland waterways are the only means of transportation through dense, impenetrable forests and areas defined by certain tribal groups.
- Sea routes and oceanic routes are mostly used for transporting bulky goods from one country to another.
- Waterways is a major means of domestic and foreign trade.
Concept: Brazil Transport
Is there an error in this question or solution?