Answer in Brief
Write note on
- The Himalayas is one of the youngest fold mountains in the world and it is a major mountain system of the Asian continent.
- It extends from Pamir knot in Tajikistan to the east and in India from Jammu and Kashmir to Arunachal Pradesh.
- It is not a single mountain range but consists of many parallel ranges.
- The southernmost range is known as Siwalik range (Shiwalik) and is the youngest of all the ranges.
- Next to Shiwalik lies the Lesser Himalayas, Greater Himalayas and Trans Himalayan ranges from south to north. These ranges are young to old respectively.
- These Mountain ranges are further divided into Western Himalayas (Kashmir Himalayas), Central Himalayas (Kumaun Himalayas) and Eastern Himalayas (Assam Himalayas).
Concept: Physiography of India - Himalayas
Is there an error in this question or solution?