Write in brief about.
The after-effects of the battle of Panipat.
- On 14 January 1761, the Marathas opened the third battle of Panipat, by attacking Abdali’s army.
- The Marathas lost in this battle and suffered severe losses.
- A whole generation of young men in Maharashtra including Peshwa’s son Vishwasrao and many brave Sardars were killed on the battlefield. Sadashivraobhau also disappeared in the battle fray. Approximately 150000 people were killed in this battle.
- Taking advantage of the defeat of the Marathas, the Nizam invaded the Maratha territory again.
- The Sultan of Mysore, Hyder Ali also attacked the Maratha territory in Karnataka.
- While the Nizam was defeated by the Marathas under leadership of Peshwa Madhavrao at Rakshasbhuvan near Paithan, Hyder Ali was defeated by Marathas in a battle at Moti Talav near Srirangapattan. Marathas overcame this great defeat of Panipat and revived their supremacy in the politics of the North.
Concept: The Battle of Panipat
Is there an error in this question or solution?