Write ‘four’ uses of hydrochloric acid.
Uses of hydrogen chloride: Hydrogen chloride is used,
1. in the manufacture of chlorine and chlorides such as ammonium chloride.
2. for extracting glue from bones. It is also used for purifying bone black.
3. in medicine and as a laboratory reagent.
4. in dyeing, calico printing and tanning industries.
5. in pickling (cleaning metallic surfaces) before tinning, galvanising and electroplating.
6. in the manufacture of glucose by the hydrolysis of corn starch.
7. in the preparation of aqua regia which is used to dissolve noble metals like gold.
8. for the laboratory preparation of H2 gas by reaction with metals.
Zn + 2HCl → ZnCl2 + H2
Video Tutorials For All Subjects
- P - Block Group 17 Elements - Hydrogen Chloride