Write detailed information of the experimental method in psychology.
Explain the important features of the experimental method in your own words.
The experimental method is one of the scientific methods to study behaviour. In the experimental method, experimenter conducts experiments on participants by following certain steps. These steps are:
- Identifying problem
- Developing a hypothesis
- Selecting an experimental design and standardising the experimental procedure
- Conducting an experiment and collecting data
- Analysing data
- Drawing conclusions
Some of the important features of the experimental method are as follows:
- The experimental method is one of the most objective methods of collecting data.
- It facilitates accurate observations under controlled conditions.
- The experimental method helps in finding out the cause and effect relationship between two or more variables.
- The findings of the experimental method are verifiable.
The experimental method has assigned the status of science to Psychology.