Write in brief about progressive changes in animal classification.
There are various scientists which have contributed to biological classification and based on their observations we have the current system of classification:
- Aristotle (384-322 BC): Also known as the father of classification, he classified animals on the basis of two points: presence or absence of blood, whether they live on land, air, or water.
- Carolus Linneaus (1707-1778): Also known as the father of taxonomy, he classified living things into two kingdoms- Plantae and Animalia.
- Ernst Haeckel (1834-1919): He proposed the thee kingdom classification- Plantae, Animalia, and Protista.
- Robert Whittaker (1920-1980): He gave the five-kingdom classification- Monera, Protista, Fungi, Plantae, and Animalia.
- Carl Woose (1928-2012): He gave the classification where he classified all the organisms into three categories- Eukarya domain, Bacteria domain, and Archae domain.
Concept: Basis of Classification
Is there an error in this question or solution?