Write any two uses of Chlorine.
Uses of chlorine:
1. Large quantities of chlorine are used industrially for bleaching wood pulp (required for the manufacture of paper and rayon), bleaching cotton and textiles.
2. It is used in the extraction of gold and platinum.
3. It is used for the manufacture of dyes, drugs and organic compounds such as CCl4, CHCl3, refrigerants, etc.
4. It is used in sterilising drinking water.
5. It is used in preparation of poisonous gases such as phosgene (COCl2), tear gas (CCl3NO2), mustard gas (Cl.C2H4-S - C2H4Cl).
6. It is used in the manufacture of DDT and BHC which are important insecticide.
7. It is used in the manufacture of vinyl chloride which is starting material for polyvinyl chloride plastics.
8. It is used in the manufacture of bleaching powder, aluminium chloride, hydrogen chloride, hypochlorites, chlorates, perchlorates, etc., which are important industrial compounds.