Write a short note on:
- In the outer part of the urban areas there are small towns or small cities, they are known as suburbs.
- When big cities become overcrowded and overpopulated, the further development starts outside the city area and thus suburbs develop.
- For example, Dombivali, Kalyan, Ambarnath, etc., are the suburbs of Mumbai.
- Suburbs generally consists of residential housing and shops of a low order, which acts as a central place for the local community.
- Often, suburbs are the most recent growth of an urban area and their end marks the urban fringe.
- With an increase in population there is the growth of suburbs, the growth of suburbs may result in urban sprawl.