Write a short note on:
Population pyramid and sex ratio.
- The ratio between the number of males and females in the population is called sex ratio.
- Sex ratio is an indicator of the status of women in the country.
- In the population pyramid X-axis shows the percentage of the population in a particular age group and the Y-axis, which is at the center of the graph shows age groups.
- The length of the bar shows a number or percentage.
-The left side of the graph shows the male population whereas, the right side of the graph shows the female population.
- Thus, the population pyramid indicates the number of percentages of the male and female population in different age groups in the country.
e.g., If we want to know the percentage of males and females in the 15-59 age group, we can get it from the population pyramid.
- Therefore, we can study the age-wise sex ratio using the population pyramid.