Write a short note on:
- The literacy rate shows the proportion of literate people in the country. The people who can read and write are called literate people.
- Every country has different norms to decide literacy. In India, those who can read, write, and do arithmetic calculations are called literate.
- Literacy in the country is essential to eradicate poverty and for social, economic, and political development.
- The literacy rate in the country depends upon the cost of education, the standard of living, the status of women in the society, availability of educational facilities and government policy, etc.
- In general, the literacy rate of males is more than female with few exceptions.
- The literacy rate is more than 90% in most of the developed countries of Europe, North America, Australia, etc.
- Lowest literacy rate is in Sub-Saharan Africa.