Write a short note on :
Impact of relief on population distribution.
- Relief is one of the most important factors influencing the distribution of the population.
- Generally, mountains are thinly populated, plains are thickly populated and plateaus are moderately populated.
- The mountains and hilly areas are less populated because of limited means of livelihood; agriculture is poorly developed and transportation facilities are limited. For example, the north eastern states of India have less population due to hilly and mountainous relief.
- On the other hand, plains are densely populated because of fertile soil and well-developed agriculture. Due to plain relief, it is easy to construct roads and develop industries. Better employment facilities attract people in these areas. For example, Ganga plains are thickly populated
- In short, we can say plains are densely populated and mountains and plateaus are sparsely populated.