Write a short note.
The end buttons of the presynaptic neurons contain Neurotransmitters. These are chemical messengers. Each neurotransmitter has a unique chemical make-up and function when a neural message is passing through it excites or inhibits the neurotransmitter in it. This chemical reaction decides our reaction to various life events. Some neurotransmitters are Acetylcholine Dopamine, Serotonin, GABA, etc.
- Acetylcholine - It is a chemical that motor neurons of the nervous system release to activate muscles.
- Dopamine - It is released by the brain which plays a number of roles. If the level of dopamine is normal, we experience happy, pleasant feeling. It also plays important role in the motivational process.
- Norepinephrine - It increases the force of skeletal muscles especially during fight or flight response.
- Serotonin - It plays a role mainly in cognition, reward, learning, memory and also controls wakefulness, sleep, hunger, thirst, etc.
- Glutamate - It helps in learning, memory, and maintaining sugar level.
- GABA (Gama Amino Butyric Acid) - If it is undersecreted, it leads to convulsions and the body cannot control its movements. It is the chief inhibitory neurotransmitter i.e. its principal role is to reduce the excitability of neurons throughout the nervous system.