Write a note in your own words about how land use in Lonar city has evolved over time.
Two maps of Lonar city are given. One map is of the year 2005-06 and another is of 2015-16. These two maps show the changes in land use that have taken place in the span of 10 years. The following changes have been registered.
- There is no change in the size of Lonar lake.
- The area occupied by Lonar city has increased substantially.
- The Forest area around the lake has increased.
- An area under wasteland/ scrubs has increased.
- Around the temple in the southeast, on the waste scrubland a new rural hospital, government hostel, government ITI, Tahsil office, etc., have been developed. This newly developed area has been named Krishna Nagar, which is not on the 2005-06 map.
- To the northeast of Lonar city, two more buildings have been constructed. One is a central public school and another is a civil and criminal court.
- To the south of the temple in the heart of Lonar city built-up residential area is spreading over built-up residential sparse.
- Overall built-up residential sparse is increasing in all directions around Lonar lake and south-east of the Lonar city and thus there is encroachment over agricultural land.