With the help of an appropriate ray diagram, state the sign conventions for reflection by a spherical mirror.
The sign convention for reflection by spherical mirrors is as follows:-
- The object is always placed to the left of the mirror.
- All distances parallel to the principal axis are measured from the pole of the mirror.
- All the distances measured to the right of the origin are taken as positive, while those measured to the left of the origin are taken as negative.
- Distances measured perpendicular to and above the principal axis are taken as positive.
- Distances measured perpendicular to and below the principal axis are taken as negative.
- The focal length of a convex mirror is positive, while that of a concave mirror is negative.
Concept: Concave Mirror
Is there an error in this question or solution?