Answer in Brief
Why there is need for public awareness on environmental education.
- Public awareness of the environment comes from a result of general knowledge, specialist knowledge of a particular problem and a sense of responsibility for the environment.
- As the Earth's resources are dwindling and our environment is being increasingly degraded by human activities, it is evident that something needs to be done. Human beings cannot isolate themselves from the environment. The imbalance that they have created is slowly interfering with their survival and sustenance on Earth.
- Environmental pollution, growing human population, depletion of natural resources, climate changes, calamities and disasters are all environmental concerns. Environmental protection and conservation is beyond the capacity of one individual, one institution or one government. Hence every citizen of the world needs to be aware and need to actively participate in protecting the global environment.
o Objectives of Public awareness
- Conservation of nature and natural resources for the betterment of the society.
- Protection of various species for ecological balance.
- Adoption of appropriate means to solve existing environmental problems.
o Propagating Public awareness
- Environmental education: Environmental education must be introduced as a course in schools and colleges.
- Mass media: Newspapers, magazines, television, radio programs can play an important role in educating masses.
- Seminars and conferences: Organizing seminars and conferences that may help to spread the environmental information to generate public awareness.
- Entertainment: Folk songs, street plays, documentaries can help propagate environmental awareness.
- Public supported movements: Events, marches, campaigns can be organised for an environmental cause.
- Science centres: Science centres can be established in villages and remote areas to spread information about the environmental problems, causes and control measures.
- Government and Non-Governmental Organisations: Government and NGOs can work together to carry out public awareness programs.
Concept: Need for Public Awareness of Environmental Education
Is there an error in this question or solution?