Why should not medicines be taken without consulting doctors?
A medicine can bind to more than one receptor site. Thus, a medicine may be toxic for some receptor sites. Further, in most cases, medicines cause harmful effects when taken in higher doses than recommended. As a result, medicines may be poisonous in such cases. Hence, medicines should not be taken without consulting doctors.
Some drugs can cause side effects when drug binds to more than one type of receptor. Therefore, doctor’s consultation is must to choose the right drug that has the maximum affinity for a particular receptor site to have desired effect. Dose of the drug taken at a time is also crucial because some drugs in higher doses act as poisons and may cause death.