Why is it essential to design safer chemicals and products wrt green chemistry principle? Explain with an example.
1) The synthetic method should be designed wherever possible to use and generate substances having little or no toxicity to human health and the environment.
2) The starting material selected should be least toxic.
3) The reactions in which intermediates or reagents or products are toxic should not be followed. Instead alternative pathways should be used for synthesis.
4) Bhopal Gas Tragedy led to lots of deaths.
5) Thus, green chemistry recommends the design of synthesis to use and generate substances with little or no toxicity to humans and the environment.