Advertisement Remove all ads

Why Do Plants Absorb More Water than What is Required by Them? Give Three Uses of this Phenomenon. - Biology

Short Note
Why do plants absorb more water than what is required by them? Give three uses of this phenomenon.
Advertisement Remove all ads

Solution

Plants absorb more water than what is required. Out of 100%, only 5% of the water is used in metabolic reactions while the remaining 95% is released into the atmosphere as transpiration.
The three uses of this phenomenon are:
(i) It helps in transportation of water and minerals to the various parts of the plant.  
(ii) It produces a cooling effect to the plants.
(iii) It evaporates excess water.

Concept: Significance of Transpiration
  Is there an error in this question or solution?
Advertisement Remove all ads

APPEARS IN

Frank ICSE Class 10 Biology
Chapter 5 Transpiration
Exercise | Q 1 | Page 62
ICSE Class 10 Biology
Chapter 4 Transpiration
Give Reasons | Q 6
Advertisement Remove all ads
Advertisement Remove all ads
Share
Notifications

View all notifications


      Forgot password?
View in app×