Answer in Brief
When would solid lubricants are used?
Dry lubricants or solid lubricants are material which can reduce the friction without a liquid medium . they are used where,
- Operating conditions are such that a lubricating film cannot be formed or maintained.
- Contaminations of liquid or semi-solid lubricant, with dust or dirt is not desirable ;e.g., open gears.
- Combustible lubricants must be avoided due to the high operating temperature and pressure.
- Heavy machinery working on a crude job at very high loads and slow speed
- Where the parts to be lubricated are not easily accessible.
Is there an error in this question or solution?