What were the factors which led to the popularity of Indira Gandhi’s Government in the early 1970s?
- Socialist credentials became main projects during this period.
- Indira Gandhi campaigned to implement land reform legislations and land ceiling legislations.
- She ended her dependence on other political parties by strengthening her party’s position and recommended the dissolution of Lok Sabha in December’ 1970.
- The crisis in East Pakistan and Indo- Pak war to establish Bangladesh as an independent one, also enhanced the popularity of Indira Gandhi.
- Indira Gandhi’s government was not accepted only as a protector of the poor and underprivileged but as a strong government also.
- Congress became popular among different social sections and restored dominance again.
Concept: Congress Victory in 1971 Elections
Is there an error in this question or solution?