The Cold War produced an arms race as well as arms control. What were the reasons for both these developments?
The Cold War produced an arms race as well as arms control :-
1. Cuban Missile Crisis engaged both of them (superpowers) in the development of nuclear weapons to influence the world.
2. US dropped nuclear bombs on the cities of Hiroshima and Nagasaki with the intention to stop Soviet Union from making military and political gains in Asia.
3. Both the powers were not ready to initiate a war because they knew that destruction from these will not justify any gain for them.
4. Both the powers were to be rational and responsible being restraint and avoiding risk of another World War to ensure human survival.
5. Hence, both the superpowers decided to limiting certain kinds of nuclear and non-nuclear weapons by signing various significant agreements within a decade i.e. Limited Test Ban Treaty, Nuclear Non-proliferation Treaty, Anti Ballistic Missile Treaty etc.