What are the transition elements? Write two characteristics of the transition elements.
Elements that possess incompletely filled d-orbitals either in their ground state or in any of their oxidation states are known as transition elements. The name ‘transition’ given to the elements of d-block is only because of their position between s-block and p-block elements.
Characteristics of transition elements are as follows:-
- They show paramagnetic behaviour.
- They show variable oxidation states.
- They exhibit catalytic properties.
- They generally form complex compounds.
- They generally form coloured compounds.
Disclaimer: Any two of the above-mentioned characteristics can be mentioned in the answer.