What are the important characteristic features of north Indian rivers?
Important characteristics of north Indian rivers are as follows:
- Origin: They originate in the Himalayan mountains covered with glaciers.
- Nature of flow: These are perennial because they receive water from glaciers and rainfall.
- Drainage pattern: These’ are antecedent and consequently lead to the dendritic pattern in plains.
- Nature of river: It has a long course, flowing through the rugged mountains experiencing headward erosion and river capturing; In plains, it exhibits meandering and shifting of course.
- Catchment area: Its catchment areas include very large basins.
- Age of river: These rivers are young and youthful. These are active and deepening in the valleys.
Concept: River Regimes
Is there an error in this question or solution?