Answer in Brief
We are members of a number of groups at any given time. Explain the reasons that make people join groups.
- Security - Reduce the insecurity of "standing alone"; feel stronger, fewer self-doubts, and more resistant to threats.
- Status - Inclusion in a group viewed by outsiders as important; provides recognition and status.
- Self-esteem - Provides feelings of self-worth to group members, in addition to conveying status to outsiders.
- Affiliation - Fulfills social needs, enjoys regular interaction; can be the primary source for fulfilling the need for affiliation.
- Power - What cannot be achieved individually often becomes possible; power in numbers.
- Goal achievement - Some tasks require more than one person; need to pool talents knowledge or power to complete the job. in such instances, management may rely on the use of a formal group.
Concept: Intergroup Conflict : Nature and Causes
Is there an error in this question or solution?