How did a citizen group called Friends of Arcata Marsh Arcata, California, USA, help to improve the water quality of the marshland using Integrated Waste Water Treatment? Explain in four steps.
Wastewater including sewage can be treated in an integrated manner by utilizing a mix of the artificial and natural process.
It has been done in the town of Arcata, in the northern coast of California.
The treatment is done in four stages:-
1) In the first stage, physical impurities are removed by the conventional sedimentation, filtering and chlorine treatment.
2) In the second stage, the biologists developed a series of six connected marshes over 60 hectares of marshland.
3) Appropriate plants, algae, fungi and bacteria were seeded into this area which would help in neutralizing, absorbing and assimilating the pollutants.
4) Finally, as the water flows through the marshes, it gets purified naturally.
Video Tutorials For All Subjects
- Water Pollution and Its Control - A Case Study of Integrated Waste Water Treatment