Explain the occurrence of petroleum in India.
Occurence of Petroleum
1. Most of the petroleum occurrences in India are associated with anticlines and fault traps in the rock formations of the tertiary age.
2. In regions of folding, anticlines or domes, it occurs where oil is trapped in the crest of the up-fold.
3. The oil bearing layer is a porous limestone or sandstone through which oil may flow.
4. Petroleum is also found in fault traps between porous and non-porous rocks.
5. Gas, being lighter usually occurs above the oil.