Read the following extract and answer the questions given below:
The Jahangir Art Gallery, the State Bank of lndia building and the canteen close by which offered affordable fare, the amazing street fare, bhelpuri and vadapav. The joy of reading Bombay Times with its page 3 people one would never meet but who seemed like old friends. The Strand bookstore where one could browse for hours. And just when a book was longingly but firmly put down from nowhere, Mr Shanbagh would materialise magically at one's elbow with a special price. Not to forget the joys of trawling the booklined pavements at Fountain, where one could watch the world go by. And wherever I chose to go, there was always my friend, the sea, oh. I loved her, in all her moods, but especially in the monsoon when violent and enraged she splattered Worli seaface with walls of sea spray. My friends are lost, some passed away, some moved away, there were many whose names I never found out, though we took the train together, or met in the lift, every day.
Like every migrant, I promise myself, someday I will return. I may, perhaps, return sometime, but even so, I know, "that one cannot step into the same river twice." You seduced me steadily, o Mumbai, with your glamour and bright lights. City of dreams, tinsel town. I pay tribute to you. Today, I say good-bye with a heavy heart.
(1) What does this extract focus on?
(2) Which mood of the sea did the writer like the most?
(3) How would the writer spend her free time?
( 4) According to you, how can you make your locality clean and beautiful?
(5) Rewrite the following sentences in the ways instructed :
(i) She splattered Worli seaface with walls of sea spray.
(Rewrite it using the Simple Present tense.)
(ii) I never found out their names though we took the train together
(Make it a Compound Sentence.)
(iii) I promise myself, someday I will return.
(Rewrite it using the modal auxiliary 'must'.)
(6) Find out the words from the extract which mean -
(1) The extract focuses on the beauty and special features of Mumbai which is one of the dream cities for everyone.
(2) The writer loved the mood of the sea especially in the monsoon when the sea is violent and enraged and it splatters Worli seaface with walls of sea spray.
(3) The writer in her free time used to explore Mumbai city. She used to visit places worth visiting and enjoyed its beauty. She enjoyed the joy of reading and joy of trawling. But all of the places mentioned, the sea was her favorite to spend time with as she hardly met her friends.
(4) We can keep our locality clean and beautiful by refusing single use items, promote and create awareness amongst people, encourage people to recycle, reuse or reduce the usage of any harmful products, plant more trees, cultivate and buy organic products, change habits of people, avoid littering, organise and engage people for more such activities, enforce strict laws for any violation of law, etc ....
(i) She splatters Worli seaface with walls of sea spray.
(ii) I never found out their names but we took the train together
(iii) I promise myself that someday I must return.