Techniques to improve listening skills.
To improve the listening skill one must be a good listner. To ensure good listening, one should not interrupt when the speaker is speaking. You should consciously make effort to concentrate on the message. Respond to the speaker and encourage him by using non verbal signals like nodding your head. Keep an open mind so that you are not prejudiced by the speaker’s apperance, status or mannerism. Pay attention to the facial expression, gesture and body language of the speaker to understand the underlying meaning of the measssge. Listen for Ideas not for just the word.
1. Face the speaker and maintain eye contact.
2. Be attentive, but relaxed.
3. Keep an open mind.
4. Listen to the words and try to picture what the speaker is saying.
5. Don't interrupt and don't impose your "solutions."
6. Wait for the speaker to pause to ask clarifying questions.
7. Ask questions only to ensure understanding.
8. Try to feel what the speaker is feeling.