Advertisement Remove all ads

Suggest a Reason as to Why Co is Poisonous. - Chemistry

Suggest a reason as to why CO is poisonous.

Advertisement Remove all ads

Solution 1

Carbon monoxide is highly-poisonous because of its ability to form a complex with haemoglobin. The CO–Hb complex is more stable than the O2–Hb complex. The former prevents Hb from binding with oxygen. Thus, a person dies because of suffocation on not receiving oxygen. It is found that the 
CO–Hb complex is about 300 times more stable than the O2–Hb complex.

Solution 2

CO reacts with haemoglobin to form carboxyhaemoglobin which can destroy the oxygen carrying capacity of haemoglobin and the man dies of suffocation.

Concept: Some Important Compounds of Carbon and Silicon - Carbon Monoxide
  Is there an error in this question or solution?
Advertisement Remove all ads

APPEARS IN

NCERT Class 11 Chemistry Textbook
Chapter 11 The p-Block Elements
Q 17 | Page 324
Advertisement Remove all ads
Advertisement Remove all ads
Share
Notifications

View all notifications


      Forgot password?
View in app×