What are the characteristics of prokaryotic cells?
Characteristics of prokaryotic cells are as follows:
- The prokaryotic cell is essentially a single – envelope system.
- Prokaryotes lack membrane bound cell organelles.
- Prokaryotes have 70S ribosomes.
- DNA is naked and lies coiled in cytoplasm. It is not covered by nuclear membrane and is termed as nucleoid.
- Nuclear components, like, nuclear envelope, nucleolus, nucleoplasm are absent.
- Cell wall is present in bacteria and cyanobacteria, but absent in mycoplasma.
- Multiplies by asexual reproduction.
- Transcription and translation takes place in cytoplasm.
Is there an error in this question or solution?
Video Tutorials For All Subjects
- Structure of Prokaryotic and Eukaryotic Cells
Solution What Are the Characteristics of Prokaryotic Cells? Concept: Structure of Prokaryotic and Eukaryotic Cells.