State the laws of refraction of light.
Write the laws of refraction
Laws of Refraction:-
(1) The incident ray, the refracted ray and the normal to the interface of two media at the point of incidence all lie in the same plane.
(2) For the light of a given color and for given pair of media, the ratio of the sine of the angle of incidence to the sine of the angle of refraction is constant. This is also known as Snell's Law.
Mathematically, it can be given as follows:
`sin i/sin r="constant"=""^Amu_B`
Here, `""^Amu_B` is the relative refractive index of medium B with respect to medium A.
Laws of Refraction:
1) The incident ray and the refracted ray are on the opposite sides of the normal at the point of incidence and all three lie in the same plane.
2) For a given pair of media, the ratio of the sine of the angle of incidence to the sine of the angle of refraction is constant.
3) If ‘i’ is the angle of incidence and ‘r’ is the angle of refraction then,
`(sin i)/(sin r) = "constant"`
This constant is called as the refractive index of the second medium with respect to the first medium. it is denoted by η.
`therefore "sin i"/"sin r" = η`.
Video Tutorials For All Subjects
- Refraction of Light - Refraction Through a Rectangular Glass Slab