State any three goals of the human genome project.
What is the goal of Human Genome Project (HGP).
Goals of human genome project are:
1) Determining the sequence of chemical base pairs which make up human DNA, and
2) Identifying and mapping all the genes of the human genome from both a physical and functional standpoint.
Goals of Human Genome Project:
- Determine the sequence and number of all the base pairs (three billion) in the human genome – gene mapping.
- Identify all the genes (25000) present in human DNA.
- Determine the function of all the genes and identify the various genes that cause genetic disorders.
- Store the information in data base.
- Improve tools for data analysis.
- Find out possibilities of transfer of technology developed during HGP to industry.
- Address ethical, legal and social issues (ELSI) that may arise from the project.
- To have greater understanding of process of human evolution.
- To understand more about genetic structure functions, gene mutation, expression and methods to control them.
Video Tutorials For All Subjects
- Human Genome Project