Answer in Brief
Short Answer Question.
“Father is responsible for determination of sex of child and not the mother”. Justify.
- A human male has 44 autosomes + XY sex chromosomes, whereas a female has 44 autosomes + XX sex chromosomes.
- During gamete formation in male, the diploid germ cells in testis undergo spermatogenesis to produce two types of haploid sperms, 50% sperms contain 22 autosomes and X chromosome while 50% sperms contain 22 autosomes and Y chromosome.
- In females, the diploid germ cells in ovaries undergo oogenesis to produce only one type of egg. All eggs contain 22 autosomes and the X chromosome.
- Thus human male is heterogametic and female is homogametic.
- If a sperm containing X chromosome fertilizes the egg (ovum), the diploid zygote formed after fertilization grows into a female child.
- If a sperm containing Y chromosome fertilizes the egg, then diploid zygote formed after fertilization grows into a male child.
- The sex of a child depends on the type of sperm fertilizing the egg and hence the father is responsible for the determination of sex of the child and not the mother
Concept: Sex Determination
Is there an error in this question or solution?