When longitudinal wave is incident at the boundary of denser medium, then............................
- compression reflects as a compression.
- compression reflects as a rarefaction.
- rarefaction reflects as a compression.
- longitudinal wave reflects as transverse wave.
(a) compression reflects as a compression
A compression is reflected as a compression at the boundary of a denser medium, but it is reflected as a rarefaction at the boundary of a rarer medium.
Given below are some functions of x and t to represent the displacement (transverse or longitudinal) of an elastic wave. State which of these represent (i) a traveling wave, (ii) a stationary wave or (iii) none at all:
(a) y = 2 cos (3x) sin (10t)
(b) `y = 2sqrt(x- vt)`
(c) y = 3 sin (5x – 0.5t) + 4 cos (5x – 0.5t)
(d) y = cos x sin t + cos 2x sin 2t
- Reflection of transverse and longitudinal waves
undefined video tutorial00:04:42