(1) Ans. The extract focuses on the achievements of the special child, Chaitanya.
(2) Ans. When Chaitanya’s mother saw the prizes, she was stupefied, in total disbelief. She hugged her son, kissed him and cried unabashedly to her heart’s content. She cried for the first timeout of joy and a sense of being vindicated.
(3) Ans. Chaitanya won two prizes and a silver medal at the state level inter - school sports. He also received a citation. Without any practice he had competed with about 1800 children drawn from various schools all over the state and was selected for the marathon race.
(4) Ans. The biggest mistake that one make when they meet someone like Chaitanya is failing to interact with him. Usually they try asking him a question but he hates questions, he won’t answer, then the person gives up. Actually we should encourage him to interact with us. We should be very supportive to them.
(5) No sooner did I see the prizes than I was stupefied.
(i) No sooner did I see the prizes than I was stupefied.
(ii) Although he was still lagging behind the expected standard of learning it was okay.
(iii) He started to develop an all round interest in craft and sports.