As a senior biology student you have been asked to demonstrate to the students of secondary level in your school, the procedure (s) that shall ensure cross – pollination in a hermaphrodite flower. List the different steps that you would suggest and provide reasons for each of the item.
A flower of tomato plant following the process of sexual reproduction produces 240 viable seeds.
Answer the following questions giving reasons :
(a) What is the minimum number of pollen grains that must have been involved in the pollination of its pistil?
(b) What would have been the minimum number of ovules present in the ovary?
(c) How many megaspore mother cells were involved?
(d) What is the minimum number of microspore mother cells involved in the above case?
(e) How many male gametes were involved in this case?
- Insect/Animal pollination
undefined Pre-fertilisation - Structures and Events video tutorial00:09:21
undefined Pre-fertilisation - Structures and Events video tutorial00:12:58
- Pollinating agents: Wind, Water
undefined Pre-fertilisation - Structures and Events video tutorial00:11:29
- Pollen-Pistil interaction
undefined Pre-fertilisation - Structures and Events video tutorial00:11:59
- 11 Years' Solved Papers 2006-2016 CBSE AIPMT & NEET
- NEET 10 Practice Sets
- NEET MBBS / BDS Physics, Chemistry, Biology (3 in 1) Study Material & Previous years Solved Papers
- Online Test Series NEET - (UG) Physics, Chemistry & Biology (VOUCHER)
- Online Question Bank NEET (UG) - Physics, Chemistry & Biology (VOUCHER)
- NEET/ AIPMT/ AIIMS Success Pack (4th Edition) for Medical Entrance Exams
- Exploring Biology for NEET - Vol. 1