Ponnimanthuri Village, India
• Vijayasama and the narrator both refer many times to "they'. Who do you think 'they' are?
• Why do you think the women of the village have to walk 10 km everyday?
• Why does Vijayasama say· " We don't buy leather shoes or leather handbags or leather clothes" ?
• They are the factory owners.
• The women of the village have to walk 10 km everyday to find wood for fuel and/or get clean drinking water.
• Vijayasama says it because the villagers do not at all benefit from having the tanneries nearby. They
(the villagers) are poor and cannot afford to buy leather shoes. leather handbags 0< leather clothes.
Perhaps. they don't need them at all seeing the poor and miserable hie they lead.