“Political parties are a necessary condition for a democracy”. Analyse the statement with examples.
Political parties are a necessary condition for a democracy because of the following reasons:
- When societies develop, expand and become more complex in terms of social, economic and political relations, they need political parties to sustain governance.
- Political parties tend to provide the base on which the praxis of government is built.
- Political parties gather public views on various important issues, articulate them and then present them to the government, which is what democracy is.
- Parties bring various representatives together, support or restrain government and its apparatus, develop policies, justify or oppose them in the public domain depending on their political ideology.
- Finally, parties which fail to form the government form the opposition and monitor the actions of the ruling party, thereby preventing the misuse or abuse of limits imposed by the Constitution.
Concept: Role Do Political Parties Play in Competition and Contestation
Is there an error in this question or solution?