Answer in Brief
Observe the following diagram. Correct it and write the information in your words.
- The given figure indicates the alternation of generation.
- The life cycle of a plant includes two generations, sporophytic (diploid = 2n) and gametophytic (haploid = n)
- Some special diploid cells of sporophyte divide by meiosis to produce haploid cells.
- These haploid cells divide mitotically to produce gametophyte.
- On maturation, gametophyte produces male and female gametes which fuse during fertilization and produce a diploid zygote.
- The diploid zygote divides by mitosis and forms a diploid sporophyte.
- Thus, sporophytic and gametophytic generations generally occur alternately in the life cycle of a plant.
- Bryophytes and Pteridophytes show distinct alternation of generation.
Is there an error in this question or solution?