Answer in Brief
Newspapers, in those times were a very important medium of creating social awareness.
- In the pre-independence period, newspapers became the first mass medium of circulating information and knowledge among people.
- It brought about a social and national awakening among the people and mobilized them against the oppressive British rule.
- The newspaper Darpan made people aware of certain historical events like the remarriage of Hindu widows, the danger of the Russian attack on India, etc.
- Dnyanoday shed light on the course of events that took place during the Indian War of Independence, 1857.
- Deenbandhu discussed issues relating to the masses (Bahujansamaj) of that period.
- Kesari and Mahratta newspapers threw light on the social and political issues of the contemporary period.
Concept: History of Mass Media
Is there an error in this question or solution?