Name four types of coal with percentage of carbon present in each,with uses.
Types of Coal:
- Peat: It is light brown in colour and contains only 50 – 60% carbon. It is the most inferior form of coal.
- Lignite: it contains more than 60% carbon. It is brown in colour and harder than peat.
- Bituminous: It has 90%, 80%, 70 – 75% carbon contents. Bituminous coal is the most common variety of coal and used as house hold coal.
- Anthracite: It is the purest variety of coal. Its carbon contents vary between 92 – 98%. It is hard, dense and black, difficultto ignite.
Uses of coal:
- Coal is used as both domestic and industrial fuel.
- It is used to prepare coke, coal gas and coal tar.
Concept: Uses of Diamond, Graphite, Coke, Coal, Soot
Is there an error in this question or solution?