Answer in Brief
Mention the Role of Ripon and Munroe in Madras Presidency.
- Lord Ripon was the one who introduced the Local Self Government in 1882.
- He was advocating for the decentralization of administration.
- He tried to remove obstacles in the sphere of Local Self government by his resolution of 1882.
- Under him, a large number of tahsildars had quasi-judicial powers in their sub-districts, along with revenue collection.
- He was all for administration in the local language.
- He was against the practice of appointing administrative posts and the judiciary those who were not fluent with the-local lexicon (language).
- He felt that Indians ought to be allowed to dispense justice by themselves.
Concept: Historical Background
Is there an error in this question or solution?