Mention the major types of farming and give information about intensive farming and extensive grain farming.
Intensive farming and extensive farming are the major types of farming. The information on intensive farming and extensive farming is as follows :
A type of farming in which maximum production is obtained from a minimum area is called intensive farming.
The following are the main features of intensive farming:
- Intensive farming is a subtype of subsistence farming.
- Due to the large population of limited availability of land, per head holding is small.
- This type of farming is mostly seen in developing regions.
- Farm production is sufficient only for the requirement of the family.
- In this type of farming, the cultivator and his family are totally dependent on farming. As farm production is low, the economic condition of the cultivator is also a river.
- In this type of farming mostly animate energy is used.
- Besides the cereals, vegetables are also grown to some extent.
A type of faming in which maximum production is obtained from a large farm area is called extensive farming.
The following are the main features of extensive farming:
- Extensive farming is a subtype of commercial farming.
- Farm size in this farming is greater than 200 hectares.
- Due to the large farm size and sparse population, this type of farming is carried out with the help of machines like tractors and crushers. Pesticides are sprayed with the help of helicopters or planes.
- Mono crop (single crop) cultivation is the striking characteristic of this type of farming.
- The main crops like wheat and com and other crops like barley, oats, soybeans, etc. are grown in this type of farming.
- In this type of farming, huge expenditures are needed for the purchase of machinery, fertilizers, pesticides, goodowns, transportation, etc. Thus this type of farming requires heavy capital investment.
- This type of farming is carried out in the temperate grassland regions.
- Droughts, attack by pests, locusts, market fluctuations are some of the problems in this type of farming.