Look at this cartoon by R.K. Laxman. Read the sentence given below the cartoon. Discuss the following questions with your partner.
- What is it about?
- Do you find it funny? If so, why?
- Do you think a cartoon is a serious drawing? Why or why not?
1. It is about a father’s concern for the betterment of his child.
2. Yes, the cartoon is really funny. Father orders the child to labour (to work hard) with his studies. But he forbids the boy to read the laws against child labour.
3. A cartoon is chiefly meant to make us laugh.
It is also a serious drawing in one sense.
It draws our attention to some problem that affects us all.