Look at the figure and answer the following questions:
- What does this map show?
- Which continents and sub-continents are visible on this map?
- What lies between the continents?
- Chagos Plateau, Sunda Trench, Central Mountain range are a part of what?
- What are the conclusions you can draw after looking at the map?
- This map shows the relief of the Indian Ocean floor.
- The continents of Africa, Antarctica, Australia, and the Indian sub-continent are visible in the map.
- The Indian Ocean and the Southern Ocean lie between the continents.
- The Chagos plateau is a part of the Lakshadweep Plateau. The Sunda Trench is a part of the Java Trench located in the Indian Ocean near Sumatra, formed where Australian - Capricorn Plates subduct under a part of the Eurasian Plate. The Central Mountain Range is a part of the Mid Indian Oceanic ridge.
- The relief of the ocean floor of the Indian Ocean shows many features.
- The Indian Ocean lies mostly in the southern hemisphere.
- It is surrounded by the Continent of Africa in the northwest, the Indian sub-continent in the north and north-east, the continent of Australia in the east and the Southern Ocean, and the Continent of Antarctica in the south.
- The ocean floor has features like the Agulhas Plateau, the Madagascar plateau, Chagos and Lakshadweep plateau, and the Kerguelen Plateau.
- It also has ridges like the Southwest Indian Ocean ridge, the Southeast Indian Ocean ridge, and the Mid Indian Ocean ridge.
- The other feature is basins like the Agulhas - Natal basin, the Mauritius basin, the Mascarene basin, the Mid-Indian basin, the Ganga basin, and the West Australian basin.
- The Trenches include the Sunda trench.
- The Island includes Amsterdam and St. Paul Island and Prince Edward Island.
Concept: Indian Ocean Region
Is there an error in this question or solution?